Monday, April 21, 2008

What a weekend it was!

I had the opportunity to be one of two chiropractors, the other being Camille, at the 2008 Dallas Open. The Open was the second tour stop on the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball circuit. It was a lot of long hours that started Thursday morning with the qualifier to get into the main draw that started on Friday. I was amazed to learn of the numerous players who fly out to all the tour stops and try just to qualify for the main draw. Most of them lived in beach towns around LA and San Diego, but there were a few locals who decided to see if they were worthy.

Misty May and Kerri Walsh barely get the win.

Throughout the weekend we got to meet many amazing athletes, some coming up in the ranks and some that were legends. One of the legends I was blessed to meet was Karch Kiraly. He recently was inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame and now announces the finals for the Tour. Very nice guy. I also got to treat my first Olympic Gold Medalist, Dain Blanton. He won gold back in 2000 on the sand and was knocked out early on Friday. He informed me that this was going to be his last year on tour. At 36 he is past his prime on the beach volleyball circuit.



The head trainer and me sitting courtside during the men's final.


The men and women who make up the tour are classy people and I have a new found respect for them all. They beat their bodies up for the chance to win a tourney here and there, and even more, represent their country in Beijing. In the end Phil and Todd won the men's event and Misty and Kerri won the women's. They are the #1 ranked teams in the world respectively and have their eyes set on gold in Beijing. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to take part in it all and I already cannot wait for next year's.






Some serious air on sand in the men's final.



Me with Phil Dalhausser in the med tent after the men's final.


For all you cat lovers do not worry, pictures are coming soon of the 4 crazy kittens living in our bathroom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vince that is so cool!!! What an awesome experience for you!!! Congrats! Jamie

Matthew Walsh said...

Kerri Walsh? I know someone who used to go by that name!!

Amie said...

I take it you were chiropracticing, and not playing? What an experience!!