It's time for an update on the babies! We are in the process of naming our foster family. We are letting you all vote for mom's name and you have 2 more days to make your choice. As of now, Alley is winning. We named 3 of the 4 babies...the orange tabby is proving hard to name. He is the strongest and most curious. Garfield was an idea we threw around, but it just doesn't seem to fit.
Now, for the update. About 4 days ago mom started moving her babies out of the bathtub and onto the bathroom floor every time I was gone for more than an hour. I would do the same thing every time I came home to find them this way. I would get mom back into the tub and into the nesting box, then VERY carefully put the babies back in with her. But, she would have them out again within a few hours. I decided that her instincts where telling her to do this for a reason, so I went with it. I put her large crate (full of fluffy towels and blankets) under our bathroom counter and sure enough, within an hour she had moved all her babies into a this new home, completely abandoning the old nesting box. This is where they have been happily living for 3 days. I think she was doing this because the babies are growing more and more active and her instincts are telling her to get them to a place they can roam around and when they are ready get to food, water and access to the cat sand. My thoughts were confirmed because not even a day after they moved into the new house the babies started coming out of the crate and exploring the world around them. They are doing all the great things that they should be doing...cleaning, playing, exploring. When I am in the bathroom they follow my every move with their curious eyes and when mom is in the crate, they let me pet them...well, Sweet Pea is pretty skeptical, but the rest seem to actually enjoy being petted. Vince and I sat in there tonight for about 15 minutes and just observed in awe how wonderfully God made animals. The babies and mom are running on the instinct God gave them and it is fascinating to watch. Mom is still not even remotely close to being my best friend (or even acquaintances), but if I sit still long enough, she relaxes and closes her eyes while babies are nursing. I think it is a relief for her to be able to nurse outside the nesting box. She is hissing and growling a little less than before.
Whelp, that's the update. I am going to get some pictures up here as soon as I can!!
7 months ago

1 comment:
Welp, you are enjoying all of the same wonderful things that have all my life when it comes to animals. Yes, they are a fascinating window into the circle of life!
I think mom should be named Alley McBite. How about Scooter for the orange tabby!
Post a Comment